Birmingham – Nechells Baths

The following is taken directly from The City of Birmingham Baths Department 1851 – 1951. The work was written and compiled by J. Moth M.N.A.B.S Birmingham 1951 and is presented here.

Nechells Park Road BathsIn 1900, pressure was brought to bear on the Council by the representatives of the Nechells Ward for the provision of Baths, but on the grounds that the Baths Committee were already fully committed, Nechells had to wait its turn.

Three years later, a site at the corner of Nechells Park and Aston Church Road was acquired, but it was not until 1908 that approval was obtained for expenditure on the building, which was commenced in that year and opened on the 22nd June, 1910.

Constructed in the modern Renaissance style of architecture, in red brick with stone colour terra-cotta dressings and facings to windows, porticos, turrets and copings’, and with accommodation comprising a Large Swimming Bath with spectators’ gallery and suites of Private Baths for Men and Women, Nechells Baths soon achieved great popularity in a district which was sorely in need of such facilities.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Share your Memories and Stories