Birmingham – Erdington Baths

The following is taken directly from The City of Birmingham Baths Department 1851 – 1951. The work was written and compiled by J. Moth M.N.A.B.S Birmingham 1951 and is presented here.

As was to be expected, the residents of those districts in which it had not yet been possible to provide bathing facilities, were not slow in pressing their claims for consideration in the Committee’s programme of expansion, and the Erdington district was the next in which it was decided to erect baths.

A site was acquired in Mason Road, and an establishment comprising a swimming bath, suites of washing baths for men and women, and a Turkish baths, was erected and opened on 6th May, 1925.

Although convertible for use as a Hall, and in fact once used for this purpose, the Committee soon recognised that there was a demand in this area for swimming during the winter, and in consequence, the pool remains available for swimming throughout the year.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Share your Memories and Stories