Birmingham – Northwood Street Baths

The following is taken directly from The City of Birmingham Baths Department 1851-1951. This work was written and compiled by J. Moth M.N.A.B.S. Birmingham 1951 and is presented here.

Northwood Street Baths SketchIn 1853, a memorial from the inhabitants in the northern district for Baths to be provided, was referred to the Baths Committee, and after some delay regarding a site, one lying between Northwood Street and Kenyon Street was chosen for the erection of an establishment to serve the four northern Wards, which then comprised one-third of tile area of the Borough.

The foundation stone of the Northwood Street Baths was laid on the 30th May 1861 and tile building, which is of red brick and blue brick base, interspersed with block stone dressings and facings and stone string courses with moulded cornice and cappings, was opened to the public on the 15th March, 1862.

This Bath, until it was closed in was really Birmingham’s oldest Bath, as unlike those at Kent Street and Woodcock Street, which although erected earlier, had been reconstructed, Northwood Street Baths preserved its original design both internally and externally until the outbreak of War in 1939, when the Private Bath accommodation was altered and used as a First Aid Post.

With its First and Second Class Swimming Baths and large suites of Private Baths, this establishment gave excellent service to tile City for over 85 years.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Share your Memories and Stories