Birmingham – Saltley Baths

The following is taken directly from The City of Birmingham Baths Department 1851 – 1951. The work was written and compiled by J. Moth M.N.A.B.S Birmingham 1951 and is presented here.

A Modern Washing BathThe Baths Committee, having abandoned its original intention to convert the Police Buildings in George Arthur Road, Saltley, for use as Cottage Baths, and instead to erect Cottage Baths on a site offered by Lord Norton in Adderley Road, decided to acquire additional land at the rear of the Police Buildings, and to erect a swimming bath on the enlarged site.

Although Saltley Baths, opened on 30th July, 1924, cannot claim to attract as many swimmers as most of the Department’s remaining establishments, it has the distinction of being the first of the City’s baths built to contain a 100ft. swimming pool. Apart from Grove Lane Baths, acquired from the Handsworth Local Board under the Greater Birmingham Scheme, which had two 100ft. pools, establishments so far provided contained pools of varying lengths under 100ft. This often proved inconvenient from the point of view of competitive swimming, and Saltley Baths was to set the pattern in swimming bath measurements for future establishments to be erected.

When converted for use as a Hall during the winter, Saltley Baths is one of the City’s most popular venues for public dancing, and in a locality where entertainment facilities are practically non-existent, makes a useful contribution to the neighbourhood’s amenities.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Share your Memories and Stories